Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A healthy alternative to mashed potatoes with butter. This recipe is 2 ww pts. per serving.
- 4 medium baking potatoes (about 1-1/3 lbs total)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream or 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons nonfat milk (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- fresh basil sprig (optional)
- Peel potatoes.
- Cook potatoes and garlic cloves, covered, in boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Mash potatoes and garlic; add sour cream.
- Beat in enough milk to make fluffy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes to pan and heat through.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- if desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: Prepare potatoes as directed, except place in a greased 1-1/2-quart casserole before heating through.
- Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Bake covered in a 350°F oven for 55 minutes or until heated through.
- If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil just before serving.
Super recipe! I made it exactly as directed, using lowfat sour cream, but subbing dried basil for fresh (hey, it's winter here in New Hampshire). I probably put in a bit more sour cream, and it was really, really, really delicious. My DH, who's "famous" for his mashed potatoes, said that mine were better than his! This is a wonderful way to get a mashed potato fix without totally messing up a diet. This is probably how we'll make mashed potatoes from now on - using a bit more sour cream than the recipe called for, but other than that, as is!
Easy to make and VERY tasty recipe.
YUM YUM YUM! I've been craving garlicky potatoes for a while now, but I'm not big on butter and cream. This MORE than satisfied the tastebuds here! I used red potatoes and fat free sour cream. Didn't even need the cheese and since I was serving it with basil chicken, I opted for the basil sprig. Wish I had made twice the recipe, because something tells me these would be delicious as leftovers too! Oh, and I used the make ahead option and did have to add a bit of fat free chicken broth to the end result, not that it was a problem. Thanks so very much! This is going in my keep file for sure!