Prep 25 mins
Cook 14 mins
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed and cold
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, in the raw
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the cubed, cold butter until a coarse meal forms.
- Pulse in the sour cream and egg yolk until just combined.
- Turn the sticky dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough comes together into a ball.
- Gently pat the dough down into a 3/4 inch thick square shape.
- With a large knife cut the dough square into 4 smaller, equal squares.
- Then cut each smaller square diagonally, with an X, making 4 smaller triangles.
- Transfer the 16 triangles onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of each scone with heavy cream and sprinkle it with some sugar in the raw.
- This will create a shiny and crunchy top for the scones.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes until the bottoms of the scones are light brown.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly on the sheet pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.