Recipe by Robb Dabbs
cream nicely dotted with dark raisins. Today I baked the following pie and have made minor adjustments to the original recipe, but it is essentially a recipe published by Better Homes and Gardens, and sent to me by Patty. Thanks Patty! Now the recipe, which I'd like to share... Robb
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup dark raisin
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover raisins with 1 cup of boiling water, let stand 5 minutes.
- Separate egg yolks from whites, set whites aside for meringue. PASTRY: In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. In measuring cup, measure oil and add milk.
- Do not stir.
- Pour oil and milk all at once into flour mixture. Stir with a fork until well-combined and mixture comes together in a mass.
- Shape mixture into a ball and roll between sheets of plastic wrap.
- Peel plastic wrap off of top of pastry, and invert pastry into 9" pie pan.
- Crimp edge and flute. Bake pastry in 425 degree F.
- oven 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
- FILLING: In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Beat egg yolks slightly.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into yolks.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Return to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; add sour cream, butter, vanilla extract and drained raisins.
- Stir just until mixed; do not overmix.
- Pour hot filling into pie crust. MERINGUE: Combine egg whites, sugar, salt and cream of tartar.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Beat at high speed until mixture holds soft peaks.
- Add vanilla extract. Beat until mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge. Bake in 425 degree F. oven for 4 minutes.
- Cool, cover, and chill to store. -----