Recipe by Sydney Mike
The original of this recipe was found in the current American Profile magazine, & I have tweaked it to my satisfaction! Preparation time does not include the time needed for the finished bars to cool completely!
Top Review by CoffeeB
A great tasting bar for the raisin lover. The sour cream/raisin filling is just the right consistency to make these bars truly moist. I did my crust mixture in the food processor to speed things up a bit and also b/c my butter was not room temp. It might be important to note that after sprinkiling the crumb mix over top of the filling mix to press down a bit. Otherwise the topping tends to be crumbly. Delicious w/a cuppa. Made for PRMR>
- 2 1⁄2 cups dark raisins
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease a 13"x9" glass baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, combine raisins & water, then cook over medium heat for 10 minutes before draining well. Set raisins aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, oats, flour & baking soda, mixing well.
- Evenly press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, & bake for 7 minutes, until partially cooked & slightly set.
- In a medium saucepan, combine egg yolks, granulated sugar, sour cream, cornstarch & cinnamon, & stir until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens & resembles pudding, about 8 minutes, then remove from heat & stir in raisins & vanilla.
- Pour onto the crust , then crumble remaining oat mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until set, then remove from oven & cool completely on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before cutting & serving.