Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- Butter and flour a 12-cup tube pan or Bundt pan; set aside.
- Position oven rack in the lower third of teh oven; preheat to 350°.
- In a bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt together; set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer; beat on medium speed with the paddle attachment until very light, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the extracts; beat in the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Decrease mixer speed to low and beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then half the sour cream, beating until smooth after each addition (stop mixer occasionally to scrape bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat in another 1/3 of the flour, then after the flour has been absorbed, the remaining sour cream.
- Scrape bowl again and beat in the last of the flour.
- Use a rubber spatula to give a final mix to the batter; then scrape it into the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake for about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours, or until the cake is well risen, cracked on top, and well colored and a pick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for a few minutes, then unmold it onto a rack and turn right side up to finish cooling.
- Storage: wrap the cake in plastic wrap and then foil to ensure it doesn’t dry out.