Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandmother has made this every holiday since I was 10 or so -- it is my very favorite holiday dish, and I now make it to take to my DH's family events! It's best if you refrigerated it OVERNIGHT before baking; the most time-consuming active part is the actual grating of the potatoes -- I use a large-hole grater.
- 6-7 medium potatoes
- 118.29 ml margarine or 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 354.88 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml white onion, grated
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 304.75 g can cream of chicken soup (I use low-sodium)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil whole potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Cool; peel and grate into large bowl.
- (I grate the onion while the potatoes boil).
- Add remaining ingredients to potato/onion mixture; mix well.
- Place in greased 9x13 baking dish, or equivalent, and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until brown& bubbly.
- (Baking time depends on size of your baking dish; I sometimes put this in a deeper dish).
Tried this for our big Christmas dinner to go with Prime Rib. Put it together the night before Christmas - HA! - Grating the potatoes was alot of work. I think that using frozen hash browns would be a great option to alleviate this problem. Baked it according to directions. I didn't add enough salt so had to have everyone add salt. It was ok - but not grate. I mean Great! :) I think more cheese would be a good idea and possibly sauteing the onions in butter to give it more flavor.
Thank you for posting this. I also love this recipe and have just moved and my recipes are buried away. I looked on line and ran across yours, I think that it is very similar, not sure if I added cheese, don't remember but this is one of our family favorites as well. I don't care for it with hashbrowns, it may be a bit more work with the grating of potatoes but that's the love put into it!
This was a winner at our house! Only 2 things I would do differently next time. 1) I would probably cut the amount of butter in half. I used a whole stick of butter like the recipe called for, but it was just oozing butter once it was dished out of the pan. 2) Instead of boiling and grating the potatoes, I think a bag of hash browns would work equally well and shorten the prep time. Was delicious served with recipe#116208. Thanks for posting! Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game.