Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have been making this salad for some years now. Its a huge hit at BBQS.
- 1 kg potato
- 1 large red onion
- 1⁄4 cup of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I prefer a creamy mayo)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup of sliced pecans
- whipping cream, to garnish
- pecan nuts, to garnish
- lettuce, to garnish
- cherry tomatoes, to garnish
- Boil potatoes with jackets on until firm but soft.
- Peel cool potatoes and cube into medium sized cubes.
- Add onion, parsley, salt and pepper to the potatoes.
- Mix sour cream, mayo and lemon juice together and add to the potatoes.
- Add the chopped pecans.
- MIX all the ingredients together gently.
- Fill a loaf tin lined with cling film with the potato salad.
- pressing the mixture down firmly into the tin.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Lay a bed of lettuce leaves onto a serving platter.
- Invert loaf onto lettuce.
- Whip the cream and pipe cream onto loaf (do not overdo the cream|).
- Garnish with pecans and cherry tomatoes.
Really delicious. I used walnuts instead of pecans (generally unavailable in Greece) and loved the flavour and presentation. Rather than whipping up some cream, I just 'frosted' with a very thin layer of more mayo. Very well-received for our Sunday lunch. I can see making this for potlucks and special bbqs.
WOW! I added a good many salads to my holiday meals this year and they were so well received. Having the salads ready to go allowed more time with family and friends. Not only is this an incredibly good tasting potato salad it's a wow when it comes to presentation! I can't wait til summer salad time! This salad is perfect as it is. I used Hellmans mayo and loved the cracked pepper. Thank you so much for posting, the presentation alone makes for a ten! This and what bluemoon downunder said, except I don't think my family would go with the apple and the cinnamon ... but nothing stopping me from giving it a try on my serving!
A really different way to make and serve potato salad: it looked great and tasted just sensational! This was one of my 2005 Pick a Chef selections, but I’d actually saved it some months earlier – back in early August – from the Unreviewed Recipe in the Most Cookbooks thread. So it’s now finally getting a well-deserved review! The pecans added great flavour and a crunchy texture which beautifully complemented the creaminess of the potatoes, as did the lemony flavour. I added 2 cloves of garlic (a personal taste preference), which I grated, and I used a red onion, which I also grated. I used baby potatoes, which I quartered. This loaf looked just so enticing on the lettuce leaves. I didn’t add the cream for garnish, just the pecans and the cherry tomatoes. As lemoncurd says, this would be just perfect at BBQs, but also, because it looks so individual, so different, on any occasion when you are entertaining. If you have an insulated bag, it would also be easy to pack for picnics, and would make a scrumptious take-to-work lunch. Next time, as long as I know it’s going to be eaten immediately, I’m going to add some grated apple, just one apple, and perhaps a pinch of cinnamon. If you love potato salad, I do urge you to try this recipe. Thanks lemoncurd!