Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I keep this recipe in a bunch of my favorite hand-written recipes. It says it came from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, although I can't find it there now. In any event, this is the only way I fix potato salad. It has a more tangy flavor than most potato salads (even with no pickles!) and it's wonderful when served with anything barbequed. Cook time is cooking and chilling time.
- Boil potatoes in skins until barely tender, about 30- 45 minutes.
- Drain water, pour cold water over potatoes, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Peel and slice potatoes (you should have approx 6 cups).
- Pour italian salad dressing over potatoes and chill at least 2 hours.
- Do not drain salad dressing from potatoes.
- Add celery and onion to potatoes.
- Chop egg whites and add to potatoes.
- Mix mashed egg yolks with mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over potatoes, stir, and chill at least 2 additional hours before serving.