Recipe by Janet V.
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. A nice and filling main entree when you have that taste for a light, but filling, dinner. The mushroom gives this vegetarian meal a great dimension for even the meat-eater! The Simply Potatoes Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes layered with sauerkraut and swiss cheese atop make this a pleasing meal. Horseradish mixed in the potatoes is an optional ingredient.
- 24 ounces Simply Potatoes Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 8 large portabella mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (optional)
- 2 cups sauerkraut
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean mushroom caps gently. Flash in microwave, four caps at a time, for 3 minutes.
- If you desire the horseradish flavor, mix 1 tablespoon or more very well into mashed potatoes.
- Spoon mashed potato mixture onto each cap.
- Put 1/4 cup of sauerkraut on top the mashed potatoes on each.
- Bake in greased pan in a preheated 375 degrees oven for 20 minutes.
- Mound 1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese on each and cook for another 5 minutes and you have your meal.