Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great side dish for any meal. Of course, I love mushrooms, sour cream, and almonds, so why wouldn't I like this?
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can button mushrooms, drained (may use fresh, but saute a while in butter or olive oil before adding to release the moisture.)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Saute almonds in 1 tbsp butter in a small skillet until lightly browned; remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine rice and next 7 ingredients (stopping before sour cream) in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Turn the heating element off, but leave the rice on the hot eye. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Add the sour cream and mushrooms to the rice mixture; stir well. Check to make sure the rice is still hot -- if not turn the eye back on low heat to heat the sour cream/rice mix. Transfer rice to a serving dish; sprinkle with the almonds and parsley. Serve immediately.
Fantastic recipe! Made it for a dinner club. Everyone thought it was awesome and one of the recipe. Followed directions exactly as they were suggested.
Delicious rice!!!! I loved the flavor combination of the almonds, mushrooms (used fresh sauteed baby portabellas), lemon and sour cream (used low fat). I sauteed the almonds and set them aside then added the mushrooms with a bit more butter and sauteed them and set aside. I made 1/2 of the recipe for just the two of us and I put all the ingredients except the rice, mushroom/almonds and sour cream. I was making a grilled Greek flavored chicken breast to go with the rice, so once I got the chicken on the grill I finished up the rice and served them with some green beans and garlic bread for a fantastic meal. I loved the texture the almonds added to the rice. This is definitely a repeat rice recipe for me. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Newest Tag Game.