Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This one just won first prize in a local baking contest! I'm so proud!!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar, mixed with 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 3 medium pears, cored and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously spray a tube pan with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture into the pan.
- Shake the pan so that the mixture covers it, then shake excess out of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together 3/4 cup of butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Stir in the vanilla and butter flavoring.
- Then blend in the sour cream, mixing just until blended.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture until fully mixed.
- Fold in the chopped pears using a spatula.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and pecans.
- Spoon 1/3 of this batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the pecan mixture.
- Repeat this process two more times ending with a mixture of pecans on top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert it on to a cooling rack.
- If it doesn't want to come out, then run a knife around the outside edge of the cake. Set aside to cool completely.
- When cool, transfer the cake to a serving plate.
- Drizzle with the caramel ice cream topping before serving.