For those who love pies AND sour cream, here's a nice variation, courtesy of a local newspaper clipping from years ago. Although this recipe calls for fresh peaches, it has been made at times with canned peaches, but needless to say, fresh peaches are the best! [NOTE: Edited on 8 Apr 2011 to include the pie shell in the ingredients, as per 2Bleu's review suggestion!]
FOR THE PIE
- 1 pie shell, unbaked, 9-inch deep dish
- 3 cups peaches, fresh, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- FOR THE PIE:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel & slice peaches.
- Mix peaches with other filling ingredients.
- Pour into an unbaked 9"-10" deep dish pie shell.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until pie is slightly brown.
- While pie is baking, prepare the topping.
- FOR THE TOPPING:.
- Blend cold butter, sugar, flour & cinnamon with pastry cutter, until crumbs are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over pie, & bake another 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then chill in refrigerator before serving.
A very tasty pie!! I used the recipe for the filling and added 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg; I had 4 cups of fresh peaches. I did not make the topping as I wanted to serve the pie with whipped cream. It looks and tastes wonderful!!
Ither than using low-fat sour cream, and canned peaches made this as posted. A different dessert for us, though enjoyed, and enjoyed the filling. Made for Market Tag
Wow! What a fantastic custard like pie. The ease of prep and the wonderful flavor will not disappoint. I used 3 large peaches and added about 1/2 cup of rolled oats to the crumb topping. This was eaten up fast! (wish I had some vanilla ice cream for a la mode).... Yum, definite keeper!