Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another old family recipe. Very easy to handle, this dough never gets tough, even if you re-roll it. It was the first I learned. Really good in savory pies. Hint: reroll scraps, cut into 2" squares, add a bit of jam, fold over and bake 10-12 minutes. UPDATE 7/10/2010 In response to a reviewer: For best results, you must sift the flour before measuring, chill the shortening well, use full fat sour cream and chill the dough as directed.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder (not baking soda)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pulse flour, salt and baking powder in food processor.
- Add shortening. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir together sour cream and egg; pour all at once into flour and pulse until it just comes together.
- Dump out onto wax paper. Gather into a disk, wrap in the wax paper and chill at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into two pieces, rewrap one and return it to the refrigerator.
- Roll on a lightly floured surface.
- Fill and bake according to filling recipe.
Quick and easy. It's important to follow all the directions especially related to keeping the ingredients cold. The dough does look crumbly but in the end it didn't take any longer to roll out than other pie crusts. It seems like it won't come together but it will. If you're going to add water I recommend just a tbsp as a time although I didn't need to. I also think this would have been easier for me if I rolled doughs more often. I'm pretty good at rolling doughs but practice helps! I was able to roll it out and set it into the dish in about 3mins. I used this to make #31128 Yummy Crunchy Apple Pie for a church picnic. Looks great and I can't wait to taste it tomorrow! I used the second half of this recipe to make a taco pie that was good too!
I am not giving this stars. I tried making it and it just would not roll out without breaking apart. I like the idea of using the food processor and wondered if 1/4 or 1/3 cup of cold water would have helped.