Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe I found in an Alzheimer's cookbook (produced to raise money for this worthy cause). It is a wonderfully moist cake which I have made often and, when our daughter had her catering business, it was very popular. Keeps well and also freezes, but usually it never lasts that long!
- 2 cups cake flour (sifted before measuring)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup sour cream
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks and rinds.
- Sift dry ingredients into creamed mixture, alternating with sour cream.
- Do not overbeat.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Oven 325.
- well greased Bundt or tube pan.
- Bake approximately 1 hr.
- Cool 10 minutes and then turn cake onto a plate with a rim.
- Orange Syrup.
- 1/2 cup orange juice, fresh.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- 1/2 cup white sugar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 3 mins.
- Slowly pour hot syrup over cake, allowing time for it to soak it.