Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious and simple "comfort food" are my favorites in the fall and winter. My DH and I like to have this with a simple tossed salad. I found this recipe in a church cookbook and have changed it up a bit to make it my own! Note --original recipe does not specify type of cheese but I have used either cheddar or colbyjack with good results. **For OAMC - this recipe doubles really well and can be frozen up to 1 month. hmmm the oven temp disappeared! Should say preheat oven to 350F.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce with basic and garlic
- 4 -6 ounces egg noodles
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles, drain.
- Brown meat with onion and green pepper.
- Add seasonings and tomato sauce to meat mixture.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup shredded cheese and cooked noodles.
- Place 1/2 of noodle mixture in greased casserole. Cover with the meat mixture. Put rest of noodle mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese over all.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese and bake additional 10 minutes.
- ***For OAMC/Freezing - Assemble up to the point of baking and freeze. Allow to thaw before baking.
I skipped the mushrooms since I didn't have any fresh and think canned are gross. Put two little red, and two little yellow peppers through my mini chopper with part of a large onion, so dd wouldn't notice them in the sauce. Used fresh grated Parm, Romano, mozzarella, and old cheddar (to finish up bits of each). Was delish and I'm freezing about half in two portion to use as a side, maybe with chicken.
And what a delight it was to eat! Boy was this ever good! I loved the cheeses all blended together. So very tasty! I made mine with wide egg noodles and they were perfect for this!
Very tasty, I used shell pasta since that's what I had on hand. The only issue I had was there was no oven temperature listed (I went with 350 since it's usually the default temp for most things). Easy to put together and totally worth making. Thanks for posting.