Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 6 tablespoons vermont maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place paper liners in 12 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter, 1/4 cup sugar, and brown sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and maple syrup.
- On low speed, add 1/2 dry ingredients to butter-sugar mixture.
- Pour in 1/3 sour cream mixture.
- Add remaining dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with sour cream mixture.
- Beat until just blended.
- In a small bowl, stir together walnuts, cinnamon and remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Pour batter into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle top of each muffin with walnut mixture.
- Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Place tins on wire rack to cool about 5 minutes.
- Remove from tins and serve warm.
- *Dark amber maple syrup is preferred (available online at www. bairdfarm. com).
These muffins were a wonderful way to break my first Ramadan fast today in the evening. These are not too sweet and I love the maple flavour in these muffins. I did use low-fat plain yogurt as a substitute for sour cream(as I always do!). This a very good recipe and I plan to use it again! Thank you very much for sharing it on Zaar!
Yummy muffins! I added walnuts to the batter which I would definitely do again. I think I would add cinnamon to the batter next time too. I used a toasted almond syrup instead of maple syrup, but I think the maple would be even better! I was just trying to use up what we already had open!
I forgot to take a picture! These were pretty good. I added 1 tsp cinnamon & 1 cup chopped walnuts to the batter. But other than that, I followed the recipe. Turned out well & my friends ate them up. Thanks for sharing!