Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 9 inch pie shell
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- to taste lemon, rind of, cut in twists, for garnish
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, juice, egg yolks, and milk in heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat until thick.
- Stir in butter and cool mixture to room temperature. Stir in sour cream and pour filling into pie she ll.
- Cover with whipped cream and garnish with lemon twists.
- Store in refrigerator.
Perfect! Near my home there is a farm stand that also has a bakery with amazing pies. I discovered the sour cream lemon pie and fell in love, but it's $13.50 for one pie! So I was on the hunt for a recipe that could mimic it. This one is actually BETTER than the expensive bakery pie! I didn't change anything in the recipe and the flavor and texture was absolutely perfect! Actually, I did accidently use 3 1/2 tsps of cornstarch instead of 3 1/3, but it was fine and I don't think it changed it. I cooked the mixture on medium-low heat and I used a wire whisk to stir often. It seemed like it wasn't going to thicken, then all of sudden it did. The color and texture was beautiful, but I was a little worried when I tasted it because it didn't seem very lemony. After it was completely chilled and ready to be served the lemon flavor was much stronger. It is a perfect balance of tart lemon and sweet creaminess. Not too tart, not too sweet. I topped the pie with with whipped cream and garnished with lemon zest. This is my go-to pie recipe now and it's so easy to make! Thank you for the perfect recipe!
This is the best lemon pie I have ever made. The filling was lemony without being too tart. It didn't develop that "twang" that lemon pies sometimes get. Also the filling did not turn the crust into mush. Perfect. This will be my standby recipe for next year as well. Thanks for posting.
My family really liked this pie. I didn't have as much lemon rind as the recipe required so used some lime rind too. I also cut the sugar to 3/4 cup, which was perfect for us. It was still sweet.