Top Review by Cheekygreek
Perfect! Near my home there is a farm stand that also has a bakery with amazing pies. I discovered the sour cream lemon pie and fell in love, but it's $13.50 for one pie! So I was on the hunt for a recipe that could mimic it. This one is actually BETTER than the expensive bakery pie! I didn't change anything in the recipe and the flavor and texture was absolutely perfect! Actually, I did accidently use 3 1/2 tsps of cornstarch instead of 3 1/3, but it was fine and I don't think it changed it. I cooked the mixture on medium-low heat and I used a wire whisk to stir often. It seemed like it wasn't going to thicken, then all of sudden it did. The color and texture was beautiful, but I was a little worried when I tasted it because it didn't seem very lemony. After it was completely chilled and ready to be served the lemon flavor was much stronger. It is a perfect balance of tart lemon and sweet creaminess. Not too tart, not too sweet. I topped the pie with with whipped cream and garnished with lemon zest. This is my go-to pie recipe now and it's so easy to make! Thank you for the perfect recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 9 inch pie shell
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- to taste lemon, rind of, cut in twists, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, juice, egg yolks, and milk in heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat until thick.
- Stir in butter and cool mixture to room temperature. Stir in sour cream and pour filling into pie she ll.
- Cover with whipped cream and garnish with lemon twists.
- Store in refrigerator.