Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a fabulous accompaniment to my Walnut Streusel Apple Pie, or to any apple or pear pie!
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 cups sour cream
- In a heavy saucepan combine half-and-half, 3/4 cup sugar, and vanilla bean and bring just to a boil. Remove pan from heat.
- In a bowl whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar and add hot half-and-half mixture in a stream, whisking.
- Return custard to pan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until 170°F on a candy thermometer. Remove pan from heat.
- Scrape seeds form vanilla bean into custard and discard pod. Stir sour cream into custard until combined well and strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Chill custard until cold and freeze in an ice-cream maker. Transfer soft ice cream to freezer-proof container and freeze until hard, approximately 1-2 hours. Makes about 1 quart.
This is fantastic ice cream. The sour cream makes it taste a bit lemony and was delicious with raspberries on top. I made this with lowfat sour cream and 2% milk and it thickened up perfectly and was healthy and tasty.
Delicious! A special taste for those who like sour cream and vanilla ice cream, a must try! Very good with sweet desserts. Apple pie, etc.