Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
If desired add in 1-2 jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped with the onions and garlic, I also sometimes add in cooked crumbled bacon or cooked browned sausage meat too, but that is optional, you can also make this using cold cooked finely diced potatoes in place of the hash browns, or tater tots, this is a really great potato casserole, I make it often it is a family favorite!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely choppee
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 lbs frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet saute the yellow onion, green onion, garlic and celery in 1/4 cup butter for about 3-4 minutes or until softened; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in soup, hash brown potatoes, Parmesan cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese and mayo; mix well with a wooden spoon to combine, then season with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
I cannot wait to have this again, this is so good, I even baked it in smaller casserole dish, I recomend this casserole, we loved it. Thank you Kit.
The first time I had this recipe was at a family function of my husbands about 15 years ago. This recipe is time tested and it will always remain in my recipe file. Thanks for posting.