Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was given to me as a wedding gift 22 years ago. I have made it every year since for Thanksgiving and Christmas, although it is wonderful throughout the year. It is different from the traditional mushroom soup green bean casserole, using a sour cream base instead.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup Durkee onions
- Cook green beans and drain well.
- Combine butter, flour, salt, pepper, onions, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and sour cream in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix lightly with green beans.
- Place mixture in lightly greased casserole. Top with grated cheese; sprinkle with Durkee onlons.
- Bake at 400 degrees or until cheese is bubbly. (Watch the onions that they don't start to get too brown; cover with a loose tent of foil if they get brown too quickly).