Recipe by Whisper
These cookies are wonderful. I love gingersnaps, but these have a whole new dimension. I found the recipe in Thru the Grapevine, put out by the Junior League of Elmira. Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, sugar and salt.
- Add molasses and ginger; stir in egg.
- Add sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves together and add to butter mixture.
- Refrigerate several hours.
- Drop cookie method:.
- Roll 1-2 tsp dough into ball.
- Roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375F for 10-15 minutes.
- Rolled/Cut cookie method:.
- Roll out on slightly floured board to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 375F for 10-15 minutes on greased cookie sheet.