Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Moist and rich, very easy to make. This is my husband's favourite birthday cake.
- 2⁄3 cup strong coffee
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum or 1⁄2 cup Kahlua
- 1 cup regular sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark rum or 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 -2 tablespoon sour cream or 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Two 9 inch round pans; line bottoms with parchment paper. Butter pans well and dust with cocoa powder; shake out excess.
- Combine coffee with chocolate in large glass bowl and microwave on high 1-2 min until very hot and chocolate has melted.
- Whisk in rum until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place sour cream in smaller bowl and add soda and salt, stir.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Beat in 1/2 flour, 1/2 sour cream; repeat. Make a smooth batter.
- Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake on middle rack for 35-40 minutes or until cake feels firm in the centre and the edges begin to pull away from the sides.
- Cool on racks for 5 minutes, turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- Cakes can be plastic wrapped and frozen for 1 month at this stage or continue on with frosting.
- Sift sugar and cocoa into a large bowl.
- Beat in butter and rum, start at low speed, until smooth.
- Beat in enough milk or sour cream to make a spreadable frosting.
- Frost top of one cake, then top with other cake. Frost sides and then the top of the cake. Decorate with chocolate curls or raspberries or eat it just as it is!
This is the reason I joined Recipezaar! I made this last week for my boyfriend's birthday and everyone was just blown away. Wonderful, rich and soooo decadent. Love it!
I finally tried my hand at this recipe last night and omg our whole family loved it! I couldn't find white cake mix so I used Golden vanilla cake mix instead and it was the most delicious.. The cake was not crumbly or too fluffy. It's a good recipe for firm wedding cake, tastes good too.. ;)
Oh yeah! Rich, yummy and delightful for anyone who loves chocolate and coffee! (I used the coffee liquor option instead of rum). I found the frosting almost too rich, DH and ladies at my get- together thought it was perfect! made for fall 2012 PAC