Recipe by londi
This dish takes a little extra time to prepare, but is well worth the time it takes.
Top Review by valnaples
Wow...I've been making this for years and my original recipe that I clipped out of Southern Living magazine is literally falling apart and disintegrating...so I did a search and here it is! Same exact one...my sons go wild over this! Am making it tonight but for only 2 of us, I've lightened it up with ground turkey and basically cut the recipe in half and I bake in a 9x9x2 inch pan, works great! Will reprint this now and put it in a protective sleeve...my other original one was just taped into my "keeper" 3 ring binder...thanks so much!
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce, plus
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can ripe olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, shallow dish, mix water and 2 Tablespoons picante sauce.
- Place tortillas in mixture for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Brown ground beef and onion in heavy skillet, then drain.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, olives, and 1/4 cup picante sauce.
- Simmer meat mixture for 5 minutes.
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream, stirring until well blended.
- Place 1/2 of tortillas in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 of sour cream mixture over tortillas.
- Spoon 1/2 of meat mixture evenly over sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese over meat mixture.
- Repeat layers with other half of ingredients.
- Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.