This dish takes a little extra time to prepare, but is well worth the time it takes.
Make and share this Sour Cream Enchilada Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce, plus
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can ripe olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In large, shallow dish, mix water and 2 Tablespoons picante sauce.
- Place tortillas in mixture for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Brown ground beef and onion in heavy skillet, then drain.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, olives, and 1/4 cup picante sauce.
- Simmer meat mixture for 5 minutes.
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream, stirring until well blended.
- Place 1/2 of tortillas in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 of sour cream mixture over tortillas.
- Spoon 1/2 of meat mixture evenly over sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese over meat mixture.
- Repeat layers with other half of ingredients.
- Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Wow...I've been making this for years and my original recipe that I clipped out of Southern Living magazine is literally falling apart and disintegrating...so I did a search and here it is! Same exact one...my sons go wild over this! Am making it tonight but for only 2 of us, I've lightened it up with ground turkey and basically cut the recipe in half and I bake in a 9x9x2 inch pan, works great! Will reprint this now and put it in a protective sleeve...my other original one was just taped into my "keeper" 3 ring binder...thanks so much!
This was good and easy to make, just a little time consuming, but worth it. Made as is, but added extra cheese. I think next time I will make it in a smaller pan and have 3-4 layers. Made for I Reccomend.
This is the best recipe ever! I've made it so many times including a bridal shower and it went... quick! The sour cream sauce is what makes it! Now I'm handing it out to everyone who asks... And... you can even substitute ground turkey for the burger. A definite keeper!