Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This heirloom cookie was originally made with homemade sour cream stored in a crock in the basement. The dough for drop cookies is soft enough to drop from a spoon. Use an ordinary teaspoon rather than a measuring spoon. Use slightly rounded spoonfuls rather than level ones. Push the dough off the spoon with a rubber spatula or another spoon. Make the drops all the same size so they will bake evenly. Bake them just until done. Remove immediately from baking sheet. If cookies are left for only a few minutes on a hot sheet, they will continue to bake and will be overdone and dry.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- Cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in sour cream and lemon extract.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture, blending well. Drop mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 3 inches apart, on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle each with sugar.
- Bake in 375°F oven 8 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from baking sheets; cool on racks. Makes 5 1/2 dozen.
- Farm Journal’s Complete Home Baking Book.
These cookies are tasty! However, we were unable to produce the number of cookies the recipe suggests. Our batch produced 3 doz. cookies about 3" in diameter.
I have been searching for this recipe for some time. My gr-grandma used to make these but my grandma's SILs took all the recipes when she died.. even my grandma (the daughter) got none. So, we've been on the hunt for a number of years. I made these based on what Mom & Grandma told me was in these cookies. I didn't know about the lemon extract--just about the nutmeg. I took them to Mom.. she said this WAS the recipe!! She confirmed with a call to my grandma.. we'll be taking her some of these next visit. So, thank you from an entire family for posting something we've been trying to find for years. Our undying gratitude!! The cookies taste awesome.. had a number of compliments at a Christmas Eve gathering. Have had a number of requests for the recipe.
These cookies are very good! I like the light lemon flavor. I used 1/2 splenda and 1/2 sugar to cut down the calories and carbs. I didn't have quite a full half cup of sour cream so I added a little yogurt. My only issue is the nutritional facts seem unreal. 1 cookie is 802.9 calories and 103.3 carbs?? If I believed that I wouldn't have baked them. Would like to know the real values per cookie.