Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
a very good 'cake' doughnut. This makes about 8 doughnuts and 14 doughnut holes.
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup flour, additional
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- sugar, if desired (for dredging)
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until mixture is pale and thick; add sour cream and combine well.
- Sift flour together with baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamon.
- Add flour to egg mixture and stir until just combined (it will be sticky).
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, sprinkle additional flour over and roll dough out to 5/8 of an inch thick.
- Cut as many rounds as possible with a 3 inch cutter dipped in flour, and cut out centers too.
- Gather the scraps into a ball, reroll and cut out more doughnuts in the same manner.
- Make doughnut holes with any bits remaining.
- Flatten doughnuts and holes gently until ½ inch thick and fry in batches in hot oil for 1 ½ minutes on each side, until golden-brown.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- If desired, while still warm, dredge with sugar, shaking off excess.
I was hoping for a doughnut that taste like a "Krispy Cream Sour Cream doughnut." This was a very good cake doughnut made with sour cream... oh well the kids loved them.
These were good but I would liked them to puff up a bit more, I think that mabey I am used to making them using a yeast dough, however we still enjoyed them, thanks Evelyn!...Kitten:)