Recipe by maryannatwork
These donuts have an amazing aroma. They're a lot like the donuts you find at cider mills in the fall. My mom sold them at charity fundraisers and they disappeared as quickly as they came out of the deep fryer. We had a donut maker that held the batter, then released it into the deep fryer in a perfect circle when you pressed a plunger.
Top Review by rachelhankinson
These donuts were fast, simple and delish... I used buttermilk instead of milk and just dropped them into the oil with a tablespoon. Next time I will dust with cinnamon and sugar or just powdered sugar. They were eaten before I got to that step, lol! The kiddos were hungry. Will be my go to recipe:0)
- 2 eggs, beaten until light
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange rind, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Add sugar, sour cream, and milk to eggs and beat thoroughly.
- Sift dry ingredients together several times. Add orange rind.
- Stir into egg mixture to make donut batter.
- Drop batter into hot oil. Flip over when bottom side is brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Makes 2 dozen donuts.