Recipe by Sivadmil
Reminiscent of the famous Amish pie with sour cream and raisins, this pie using dried cranberries has a tarter, more sophisticated flavor.
Top Review by bluegirl
This pie is fabulous! I made it last Thanksgiving for my family, and everyone loved it so much I've already had several requests to add it to my menu again this year. It has just the right amount of sweetness and tartness; not to mention it is also sinfully creamy. I substituted orange-flavored dried cranberries for regular ones to give the recipe a little extra zing. I also substituted low-fat versions of ingredients where I could, but not one person realized it was low-fat! I have recommended this to all my friends and family memebers.
- 1 prepared pie shell
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups nonfat sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened dried cranberries
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 deg F.
- Prepare and bake pie crust as directed on package for one-crust baked shell using 9 inch pie pan.
- Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 deg F.
- During last 10 minutes of cooling time, in medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt; mix well/ Stir in all remaining filling ingredients (sour cream to cranberries).
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl; beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Pour hot filling into cooled baked shell.
- Spoon meringue over filling sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake at 400 deg F for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 45 minutes or until slightly cooled.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving time.
- Store in refrigerator.