Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A scrumptuous, soft cornbread that isn't crumbly. My favorite...I could make a meal on this alone! A neighbor served this to me and I just HAD to have the recipe.
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces sour cream or 8 ounces nonfat sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 eggs or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup canned diced jalapeno (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray 8-inch square casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake on shelf in lower 1/3 of oven for 25-30 minutes or until set in the middle and lightly browned on the top.
- Cut into nine squares.
This is a light, tender and moist cornbread. I didn't change anything in the basic recipe, but I did substitute 3 fresh minced jalapeños for canned. The texture was very pleasing. We thoroughly enjoyed this recipe. Thanks for sharing it.
Wow, this was good! As promised, soft yet crumbly. I love the creamed corn, and omitted the jalapeno for the kids. They LOVED the muffin more than the chile! For those who don't know, you can make your own self-rising cornmeal mix with: 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons Corn Meal. Be careful not to overmix the mixture (like I did). This is definetely a keeper - dump your jiffy mix!!
My DH and I loved this, my youngest, picky-eater, daughter did not, but I never count her opinion because of her pickiness. I left out the jalapeno because my husband's stomach can't handle it. This turned out moist, tender, delicious and tasted slightly sweet, though no sugar is in the recipe (sweetness came from the corn, I believe). Oh, I used vegetable oil because I didn't have canola on hand. Thanks Beachgirl for a tasty, easy cornbread recipe!