Recipe by auntchelle
These are a soft biscuit with a lovely subtle flavour. The glaze gives a zing of citrus. Diet friendly(ish). Australian measurements used.
Top Review by Heydarl
These were quite easy to make & came out great. They taste yummy & look pretty, particularly with the grated orange rind in the icing. Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #10. Thanks Mischka for sharing this keeper.
- 60 g low-fat butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 deg Celsius. Less for fan-forced. Line 2 trays with non-stick paper.
- In a small bowl cream together butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add egg yolk & beat well.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Fold half the sour cream and half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Fold in remaining halves. Mix well to combine.
- With floured hands roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into small balls and place on prepared trays. Press lightly on top with a fork.
- Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until pale golden in colour. Cool slightly on trays before moving to wire racks to cool.
- Dip tops of biscuits in the Citrus Glaze.
- Citrus Glaze: Combine icing sugar, juices and orange rind in a cup. Place cup in saucepan of hot water, beat with fork until glossy. Pour into a saucer to make icing the biscuits easier.