Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are a soft biscuit with a lovely subtle flavour. The glaze gives a zing of citrus. Diet friendly(ish). Australian measurements used.
- 60 g low-fat butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Preheat oven to 200 deg Celsius. Less for fan-forced. Line 2 trays with non-stick paper.
- In a small bowl cream together butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add egg yolk & beat well.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Fold half the sour cream and half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Fold in remaining halves. Mix well to combine.
- With floured hands roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into small balls and place on prepared trays. Press lightly on top with a fork.
- Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until pale golden in colour. Cool slightly on trays before moving to wire racks to cool.
- Dip tops of biscuits in the Citrus Glaze.
- Citrus Glaze: Combine icing sugar, juices and orange rind in a cup. Place cup in saucepan of hot water, beat with fork until glossy. Pour into a saucer to make icing the biscuits easier.
These were quite easy to make & came out great. They taste yummy & look pretty, particularly with the grated orange rind in the icing. Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #10. Thanks Mischka for sharing this keeper.
A very nice soft cake like texture in a biscuit, and the icing makes a nice tangy flavour which goes very well with these biscuits. Mischka, the only problem I had was it did not say when to add the egg yolk, so I added them after creaming the butter,and it worked fine... but apart from this I had no problems the recipe was easy to follow. Wherever the yolk went these still turned out great and very nice. Thanks Mischka.
These are good cookies. One of my PAC-06 choices. I had to use lowfat margarine had no butter. The glaze is wonderful, good taste to top it off with.