Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is probably my favorite of all the coffee cakes/breakfast breads that they served at the Dining Common. Chocolate for breakfast? Who wouldn't enjoy?
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar (divided)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Soften butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- With an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- Increase speed to high and beat until fluffy.
- Add flour, sour cream, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, orange zest, and eggs, and beat on low to medium until well blended.
- Spread half of the batter in the baking dish.
- Chop walnuts and combine with cocoa, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Sprinkle over batter, and top with remaining batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- After removing from oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over the surface of the cake.