Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a WONDERFUL recipe. I first served it at a brunch I held a few years ago. The recipe went over very well, and I received many compliments. This is also a great afternoon snack when you are craving something moist and sweet. Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 8 inch square pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg until frothy.
- Beat in sugar and butter, and cream until fluffy.
- Add sour cream and vanilla; blend well.
- Sift dry ingredients together; add to sour cream mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into greased square pan.
- For the topping: Mix together all topping ingredients until butter is evenly incorporated.
- Sprinkle evenly over sour cream mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until center springs back when touched, or when a cake tester is inserted and comes out with a few crumbs.
This coffee cake is a hit at our house and then some. I just took some over a dear old fella that knows good stuff and he loved this cake. I did top it off with a homemade peach topping. This is a fast, easy cake to make and turns out every time. Thank you for sharing with us!!!!
Made this last night; it tastes great but it's incredibly dense. As in, fudge dense. But like the reviewer below me, I never managed to get the sugar/butter mixture into the required fluffy state, which may have caused the texture problem. If I can figure out what caused that problem and avoid it, this will be a great recipe to have on hand.
I doubled this and baked it in a 9 x 13 glass pan. While baking, DH said it was driving him crazy because it smelled so good. For whatever reason, I could not get the sugar creamed into a fluffy state, which I think explains why the cake was very heavy. I will make this again, but instead of melting the butter, I will increase it to 1/4 cup at room temp, and decrease the sour cream to 1/2 cup. I'll post the results. The topping was FABULOUS! Thanks for posting, we enjoyed this a lot!