Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups flour, unbleached, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces baking chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup regular margarine
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces baking chocolate
- Sift togetehr the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add shortening, sour cream, vanilla, eggs, water and chocolate (melted then cooled).
- Beat with an electric mixer at low speed, scraping bowl constantly, for 1/2 minute.
- Increase speed to high and beat an additional 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and waxed-paper lined 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F.
- Oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on the racks.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with Sour Cream / Chocolate Frosting.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Frost sides and top of the cake with the remaining Sour Cream/Chocolate Frosting.
- SOUR CREAM/CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Combine the softened butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, and sour cream in a mixing bowl; blend well.
- Add chocolate which has been melted and cooled and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Try this little trick when making this cake.
- Take the layer that has the least amount of rise on the top and trim it to be flat with a sharp knife.
- Place the trimmed side down (layer should be upside down).
- Then frost between layers and place the other layer on right side up and finished frosting.
- It will give the illusion of having a cake with only one domed layer and will sit better on your cake plate.
- Also the trimmings are great eating just plain for the cook or for the kids.
This was a really easy cake to make! I substituted soy butter and tofu sour cream and no one could tell the difference! I am making this again for a chocoholic co-worker, and I am sure she will love it!