My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour, unbleached, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces baking chocolate
- 1Sift togetehr the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Add shortening, sour cream, vanilla, eggs, water and chocolate (melted then cooled).
- 3Beat with an electric mixer at low speed, scraping bowl constantly, for 1/2 minute.
- 4Increase speed to high and beat an additional 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 5Pour batter into 2 greased and waxed-paper lined 9-inch round cake pans.
- 6Bake in a preheated 350 degree F.
- 7Oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- 8Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove from pans and cool completely on the racks.
- 10Place one cake layer on serving plate.
- 11Spread with Sour Cream / Chocolate Frosting.
- 12Top with second cake layer.
- 13Frost sides and top of the cake with the remaining Sour Cream/Chocolate Frosting.
- 14SOUR CREAM/CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Combine the softened butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, and sour cream in a mixing bowl; blend well.
- 15Add chocolate which has been melted and cooled and vanilla.
- 16Beat until smooth.
- 17Try this little trick when making this cake.
- 18Take the layer that has the least amount of rise on the top and trim it to be flat with a sharp knife.
- 19Place the trimmed side down (layer should be upside down).
- 20Then frost between layers and place the other layer on right side up and finished frosting.
- 21It will give the illusion of having a cake with only one domed layer and will sit better on your cake plate.
- 22Also the trimmings are great eating just plain for the cook or for the kids.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Cream Chocolate Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 546.5
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 57.0 mg
- Sodium 421.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 63.7 g
- Protein 5.8 g