1 hr 45 mins
From Cooking Club of America, posted by Elinor Klivans 2007. This moist yellow cake packs a triple helping of chocolate chips. Bittersweet chocolate chips have a higher cocoa content and less sugar than semisweet chips, resulting in an extra-chocolaty glaze; look for the Ghirardelli brand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Heat oven to 350°F Spray 9 1/2- or 10-inch tube pan with fixed bottom and 3 3/4-inch-high sides with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper; spray paper.
- 2In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until blended.
- 3In large bowl, beat eggs and sugar at medium speed 2 minutes or until thick, fluffy and lightened in color.
- 4Beat in oil and vanilla at low speed until blended.
- 5Beat in flour mixture just until blended.
- 6Beat in sour cream until blended.
- 7Stir in 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips.
- 8Spoon batter into pan.
- 9Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- 10Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack; remove parchment. Leave bottom-side up for glazing; cool completely.
- 11Meanwhile, heat cream, butter and corn syrup in medium saucepan over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is hot Remove from heat; add bittersweet chocolate chips. Let stand 1 minute Stir until chocolate melts and glaze is smooth.
- 12Let stand at room temperature until slightly thickened.
- 13With small spatula, spread glaze over top and sides of cake. Let stand 30 minutes or until glaze is set.
- 14Press 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips onto sides of cake.
- 15Cake can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Cream-Chocolate Chip Cake
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.9
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 56.7 mg
- Sodium 168.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 46.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g