Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Cooking Club of America, posted by Elinor Klivans 2007. This moist yellow cake packs a triple helping of chocolate chips. Bittersweet chocolate chips have a higher cocoa content and less sugar than semisweet chips, resulting in an extra-chocolaty glaze; look for the Ghirardelli brand.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F Spray 9 1/2- or 10-inch tube pan with fixed bottom and 3 3/4-inch-high sides with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper; spray paper.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until blended.
- In large bowl, beat eggs and sugar at medium speed 2 minutes or until thick, fluffy and lightened in color.
- Beat in oil and vanilla at low speed until blended.
- Beat in flour mixture just until blended.
- Beat in sour cream until blended.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack; remove parchment. Leave bottom-side up for glazing; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat cream, butter and corn syrup in medium saucepan over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is hot Remove from heat; add bittersweet chocolate chips. Let stand 1 minute Stir until chocolate melts and glaze is smooth.
- Let stand at room temperature until slightly thickened.
- With small spatula, spread glaze over top and sides of cake. Let stand 30 minutes or until glaze is set.
- Press 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips onto sides of cake.
- Cake can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.