Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
While there are plenty of chocolate cake recipes here, I didn't want this one to be left out. This came from and old TOH magazine.
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 -5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Dissolve cocoa in water and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each. Add vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture alternately with cocoa mixture and sour cream.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pans.
- Cool Completely before frosting.
- In heavy saucepan melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Place in a mixing bowl and add sour cream and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Leftovers must be refrigerated.
Very moist cake, I used coffee in place of water but otherwise followed the recipe. I too used my own frosting, This cake is so tender it almost does not need icing! So glad you posted this
LISA, you wouldn't believe the pages and pages of chocholate cakes i went through on so many sights looking for the one that appealed to me. When i saw your's using 3 cups of cake flour i knew this was it. Boy was i right.. The texture, taste amd moistness is definately ten star. i'm so glad you posted this recipe. A million thanks!!!!!!!! Didn't have choc chips so i used a different frosting.. Will use yours next time.