Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Aunt Ardis' recipe. Awfully rich! (Note: this is a very old recipe, so what we think of as "cake" doesn't necessarily fit. It's more like a chocolate loaf or a brownie. Might be good soaked with chocolate liquor.)
Top Review by lauralie41
This was a tough dough to work with. Very stiff and if you have arm or back problems you will definitely be needing help. I have both and it was very hard for me to work with this. Also, fingers will work better than a spoon or spatula for getting this dough in the pan. I used two loaf pans and didnt look like much dough but it does rise very high while baking. The cake took 50 minutes for me as the center was still gooey after 40. Taste of the cake is more bland than what I had expected, more of a cake type brownin than cake. If you used this for the bottom layer, added ice cream and topping I think it would taste much better. Frosting alone does not add much more flavor. Sorry to say this but I would not make this cake again.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups thick sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and cocoa 13 x 9 inch pan or 2 loaf pans.
- Cream first three ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mix soda and vanilla into sour cream and fold into creamed mixture.
- Add wet mixture to dry.
- Combine well but don't beat.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake until toothpick comes clean, approximately 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Frost as desired.