This is a simple recipe that looks like you spent a lot of time on it. This recipe makes TWO tarts (9-inch pie plates). I've made this once for friends, and it was creamy & delicious, full of flavor. It's sort of quiche-like, but I found it more full-bodied and not as "eggy." Served with a spinach salad & artichoke dip with pita toasts. Yum. I also think this would be good with mushrooms added, or artichokes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used roast deli chicken)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped into short lengths
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 9-inch pie shells (I used frozen pie shells in foil pans)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream, divided use
- 4 eggs, divided use
- 2⁄3 cup milk, divided use
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- (If using pie shells in foil pans, place baking sheet in preheating oven.).
- In medium saucepan, fry bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion and saute, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chopped chicken, green chilies and salt.
- Cook 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Take off heat, drain any excess drippings& set aside.
- Divide bacon/chicken mixture and spread evenly between pie shells.
- Mix cheese together, and spread over bacon/chicken mixture.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk 1/3 cup sour cream with 2 of the eggs, one at a time.
- Add 1/3 cup milk; whisk.
- Pour mixture over one pie pan.
- Repeat sour cream-egg-milk mixture for 2nd pie pan.
- (If using foil pie pans, place tarts on heated metal baking sheet.) Place in oven and bake 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Each tart yields 6 small slices.