Recipe by Laura Leigh
This my "WOW" dish that I make to impress people. Its not difficult, but is a little time consuming, but its WELL WORTH IT. Its one of my husband's favorites.
- 2 large chicken breasts, poached or baked
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mild green chili
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 12 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces grated monterey jack cheese or 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cooked chicken into 12 strips and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Set aside.
- In large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in butter till soft.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, chilies, sugar, cumin, salt, oregano, and basil.
- Add chicken.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Dip each tortilla in sauce.
- Place one strip of chicken on each tortilla and add 2 T.
- Roll and place in 9 x 13 baking dish with seam side down.
- Add sour cream to remaining sauce and pour over enchiladas.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.