Recipe by DesiRay
I got this recipe from The Recipe Hall Of Fame Cookbook. My family loves this recipe. The only thing I do differently is instead of using chicken breast I buy a roasted chicken from my local grocery and use store bought chciken broth.
Top Review by Merlot
This is excellent!!! I also took the short-cut of buying a deli-chicken, otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. This is very easy to prepare and is a great comfort food on this cold day. Thanks so much for sharing it, DesiRay....can't wait to make it again.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Cook in water to cover in saucepan until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups broth.
- Cool and chop chicken.
- Saute onion in margarine in skillet.
- Add chicken, green chilies, mushrooms, Cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and 1 cup sour cream; mix well.
- Microwave tortillas on HIGH for 1 minute or until softened.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto tortillas.
- Roll to enclose filling. Place seam-side down in greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Melt 1/4 butter in saucepan.
- Blend flour into butter.
- Stir in reserved broth.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, 1 1/2 cups sour cream and additional chili powder to taste.
- Pour over enchiladas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake just until cheese melts.