Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of my specialties that a friend and I concocted. I am frequently asked to make it for special occasions. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you, most of them are spices.
For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons butter
- cajun seasoning
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 13 ounces flour tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican blend cheese
- Cover and bake seasoned chicken breasts in butter until done (approximately 30 minutes.
- Shred when cooled.
- Saute garlic and onion in 2 TB butter. Add tomato sauce and all seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Put a thin layer of sauce on bottom of 9 x 13 pan.
- Dip each tortilla in sauce; put approximately 2 TB chicken and 2 TB cheese in each tortilla.
- Roll and place seamside down in pan.
- Add sour cream to remaining sauce and mix well.
- Cover enchiladas with sauce and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
Compliments to the chefs!! We loved these enchiladas. Great blending of seasonings; and loved the sour cream addition to the sauce. I look forward to making these again! Thanks for posting:)
This was very simple recipe - I "cheated" a little and made seasoned chicken in the crockpot in advance, so that probably made it even easier. These were very tasty, spicy without being HOT. This will definitely go into my normal dinner rotation. Thanks!
Autumn 2006 PAC: Sherryb is right. Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you. This recipe is simple and delicious. My husband ate 3/4's of the pan by himself (yes, he is a big boy). I had never made enchiladas with Rotel and they gave the dish a nice kick. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I will be making it again.