Recipe by beakerwill
Found this one in one of Ms. Davidson's excellent books.. Most tasty :o)
Top Review by Denise Nachtigal
This was really good! I made it as written, with the only change being that I didn't add any lemon zest (didn't have any). Also, I had to bump up the cooking time by about 10 minutes but that could be due to having and old oven and trying to cook 2 things at the same time just confuses it I guess. :) Thanks for posting this recipe. My family ate up one of the pans yesterday, and it was nice to have the second one handy this morning for a fast breakfast. I'll definately be making this one agian.
- 1⁄4 lb butter (I use salted)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream, preferably fat free
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (pure, if you can)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup cherry preserves, highest quality you can find
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 fareheight.
- Butter 2 8-inch cake pans (square or round, either works),and set aside.
- In a large bowl ( mixing bowl, if you have one ), cream butter and sugar together until well mixed. Add eggs one at a time,beating well.Add sour cream, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour,baking powder,baking soda,and salt together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mix, and mix well.the batter will be stiff.
- Stir in the vanilla, lemon zest, and cherry preserves.
- Spread batter evenly in the pans, and place in oven.
- Bake 20-30 mins, or until a toothpick comes stuck into the center comes out clean.
- When cooled, a confectioners sugar & lemon juice icing goes very well. Enjoy.