Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Well, there isn't any sour cream in this cake, I used lowfat yogurt instead, but the original recipe that I adapted did use it (Mennonite cookbook, Sour Cream cake). Use any fruit you like. I had lots of cherries.
- Mix egg yolks, lemon rind and juice, sugar and yogurt together.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, salt and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in cherries or other fruit.
- Beat egg whites until stiff (if you can, great, otherwise a bit watery is fine) and mix inches.
- Pour into greased loaf pan
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
Hubby and I didn't like this but we think it didn't turn out like it was supposed to and this was probably because I subb'd too many things which would be my own fault. So here goes: I used full-fat yoghurt. I used self-raising flour, 2 tsp baking powder and reduced the salt (no baking soda). I used fresh mango and fresh pineapple instead of cherries. The texture was very stodgy (but light and fluffy at the same time - weird) and it tasted a bit sour. I fully accept that this could be my fault for subbing.