Recipe by Manami
This is so elegant! I love this cake but what really makes it so wonderful are the macerated berries. Found this on Emerils.com.
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (1 cup for cake-1/2 cup for berries)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- 1 pint blueberries, picked over for stems and rinsed
- 1 pint raspberries, rinsed
- 1 pint strawberry, rinsed and sliced
- Grand Marnier, to taste
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- shaker powdered sugar, garnish
- 3 -4 sprigs of fresh mint, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 9" springform pan.
- Using an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar together.
- With the machine running add the egg yolks and beat until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the sifted ingredients to the creamed butter in 3 parts, alternating with thirds of the sour cream.
- Beat until the batter is smooth.
- Add the vanilla.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- After the cake has cooled, use a knife to loosen the sides of springform pan.
- Remove the springform and slice.
- Prepare the berries:.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining sugar with the berries.
- Using the back of a fork, lightly mash the berries.
- Add the Grand Marnier to taste.
- To serve, place a slice of cake in the center of each plate.
- Spoon some of the macerated berries over piece of cake.
- Garnish the slice with whipped cream, powdered sugar and mint sprigs.