Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from German grandmom's recipe book, my family has been making it for years and it's quick and simple.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 314.66 ml sour cream
- 158.51 ml butter or 158.51 ml margarine, softened
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9 X 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, butter, vanilla and eggs. Blend at low speed of electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Pour one-half of the batter into prepared pan. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle one-half of sugar mixture and one-half chocolate chips over batter. Repeat with remaining batter, sugar mixture and chocolate chips.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Absolutely wonderful recipe. Easy to make and ingredients that I always have on hand. The batter for this cake is very thick. The first layer is easy enough to spread, but I would recommend for the second layer to drop spoonfuls evenly over the first layer to make it easier to spread. This was so good that I made it twice in one week. I took one to work and it was gone before lunch. I took the second one to a Stampin' Up workshop and everyone there loved it too. I had at least a dozen people ask me for the recipe. Made for April 2011 Aus/NZ Swap.
This was delightful and very easy to make. Its texture is more of a coffee cake (and it goes perfectly with a cup of coffee). I made this exactly as posted, except I ended up not using all of the remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture on the top of the cake (I was afraid it would be too sweet). It was perfect for me. I hope you share more recipes from your grandmom's recipe book, because this one was a winner! Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2011.
My Grandmother is German, and I can't say I've ever had this cake ... I feel so cheated not to have had the opportunity to try this years and years ago. I've made this twice in the last week. I absolutely love it! Goes great with French Vanilla Ice Cream. No additional chocolate needed :) This will be my go to cake from now on! Will never make a box cake again!