Recipe by Brods1
I was given this recipe by a friend (so I could make it for her). It is easy to make, tasty and keeps well for two to three days.
Top Review by Lee_tah
I really like this recipe. Was just about to post this when I saw you already had it here, yeah! I got mine from 11 Nov 2002 Womens day(Australian) mag. The topping I make is a little different. Double the apples (825g), 2 Tbsp sultana raisins, 300g sour cream, 1/2 tsp finely grated orange rind and 2 eggs. It is baked a little longer.. probably because it is a bit bigger cake - 30 minutes or until firm. But it is essentially the same recipe. Every now and then I see this in a cafe. Sometimes it is sprinkled with cinnamon or icing sugar. Thanks for posting this Brods.
- 310 g vanilla cake mix (or equivalent)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 125 g butter or 125 g margarine
- 400 g pie apples
- 250 ml sour cream
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften butter/margarine.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, coconut and butter/margarine until solid mass.
- Place on slice tray and flatten (about 12 mm or 1/2 inch thick). Place in oven and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Whisk sour cream and egg until combined.
- When base is cooked, allow to stand for 5 minutes then layer on pie apple.
- Pour sour cream/egg mix onto pie apple layer and smooth to edges.
- Sprinkle with Nutmeg to taste.
- Bake for further 20 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool, then slice.