Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A luscious old fashioned cake filling from the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Enough filling for two 9-inch layers. Cooking time is approximate.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- Mix sugar and cornstarch together and add to egg yolk.
- Stir in sour cream and cook in double boiler until it coats the spoon.
- Add flavoring, stir well.
- Let cool to room temperature before assembling cake.
Fabulously easy! I used this to fill a two layer chocolate cake by substituting vanilla for the lemon extract.