Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Dug this one out of the old recipe file to make for lunch today and decided it was well worth sharing...I believe I originally found the recipe in a local newspaper's now defunct cooking column...I've also tried to make it more heart healthy by using ground turkey breast, a light sour cream and a lower sodium worcestershire...One proviso: Prepare the mixture 24 hours in advance and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator or the burgers may fall apart during the cooking process...
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream (Cabot Light preferred)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (low sodium if available)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey breast (Shady Brook Farms preferred) or 1 lb ground chicken breast (Shady Brook Farms preferred)
- Mix sour cream, scallions, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and the ground meat until combined well.
- Shape into patties and place on waxed paper lined cookie sheet.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until well chilled (24 hours), for the flavors to meld and to keep the burgers from falling apart during cooking.
- Original recipe says to grill on Medium High heat for 4 to 6 minutes on each side turning carefully, BUT I grill mine on my George Foreman Grill for 3-5 minutes.
- Makes 5, ¼ pound burgers.
- Variations: Use italian flavored bread crumbs instead of plain; Use chopped yellow onions instead of scallions.